Application Now Open!
Late August and early September (to be announced).
Submit your completed application form and Application Fee. Receipt of your application will be confirmed within one week of submission. Audition times and locations will be emailed to candidates in August.
Candidates must be at least 15 and not over 25 years of age (inclusive) as of
September 1, 2017 to audition for member status.
Concertmaster, Associate Concertmaster
Principal Violin II, Associate Principal Violin II
Section Positions (All String Sections)
Winds, Brass & Percussion
Oboe: Principal, 2nd, 3rd/English Horn
Clarinet: 2nd, 3rd/E-flat/Bass Clarinet
Bassoon: Principal, 2nd, Contrabassoon Alternate
Horn: Principal, 4th
Trumpet: Principal, 2nd
Trombone: Bass Trombone
Timpani: Assistant Principal
Percussion: Principal, Section
Candidates on all instruments will also be considered for DCO's alternate musicians roster. Many alternate musicians receive the opportunity to perform with the orchestra during the season.
- To ensure proper adjudication, auditions for most instrument groups will take place during a single timeframe. Alternate scheduling options may not be available.
- Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your audition time. Candidates will be guaranteed access to a group warm-up room at least 30 minutes prior to their audition time.
- To ensure candidate anonymity, auditions are held behind a screen. Candidates may not speak during their auditions; a proctor will be present to assist and communicate between candidates and judges.
- Auditions are adjudicated by a panel of professional Los Angeles musicians, the DCO music director, and current DCO members and alumni. All audition decisions made by the judges are final and cannot be appealed.
2017/18 Concert Dates
- Friday, September 29, 2017 | The Broad Stage
- Sunday, November 19, 2017 | Sundays Live at LACMA
- Friday, February 9, 2018 | Zipper Hall at the Colburn School
- Sunday, March 11, 2018 | Sundays Live at LACMA
- Friday, April 13, 2018 | Aratani Theatre in Little Tokyo
Members receive stipends for all rehearsal and concert services performed with the orchestra.
A typical DCO schedule consists of 3 to 4 evening rehearsals (7:00 - 10:00 PM) in the week leading up to each concert.
Please contact Pierre Derycz, Orchestra Manager and Librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org.